For those who are new to my story, I struggled for three years with addiction and it was many years later before I shared my story publicly. Statistics say one in seven people in the United States will face addiction. On today’s episode of Fearless, I talk about my own past struggles and share 5 tools for recovery during this #NationalRecoveryMonth.
5 Tools for Recovery
- We have hope in the Gospel.
- We have to anchor ourselves in God’s Word.
- We have to avoid temptation.
- Don’t do this alone.
- Serve others.
- Proverbs 7
- Psalm 119:11
- Psalm 119:105
- Hebrews 2:18
- James 4:7
- Matthew 20:28
- Are you or someone you know looking for help in recovery? Check out these national programs:
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – https://www.samhsa.gov/
This is the government’s information center on treatment programs for substance abuse, alcohol or any mental health issues including a hotline for suicide
Hotline 1-800-662- HELP (4357)
- Cenikor Foundation, Houston, Texas – https://www.cenikor.org/
The Cenikor Foundation is a nonprofit drug rehabilitation and mental health organization based in Houston, Texas, operating residential treatment centers, outpatient services and medically assisted programs for adults and adolescents in Texas and Louisiana.
Very affordable programs. Call for assessment 888-236-4567
- EDReferral eating disorder referral and information center. – https://www.edreferral.com/treatment-center/christian
- Christian Treatment Finder – https://cedcn.org/
- Billy Graham Evangelistic Association series on the opioid crisis
- Part 1 – The Opioid Epidemic is ‘Every Single Christians Problem’
- Part 2 – ‘She Belongs to Jesus’: Fighting for Loved Ones Overcome by Opioid Addiction
- Part 3 – Newborns, Mothers Navigate Opioid Crisis
- Part 4 – Jesus Is Only the Beginning as Churches Unite to Find Hope Over Heroin
- Part 5 – Dayton Steadies in the Opioid Fight: ‘God Is Raising Up Things All Over This City’
- Part 6 – ‘As Long as There’s Breath in a Body, There’s Always Hope’: Opioid Epidemic Behind Bars
- Part 7 – Keeping the Faith Despite Chronic Pain: One Woman’s Journey Amid Opioid Epidemic
- How to share your faith – https://billygraham.org/grow-your-faith/how-to-share-your-faith/tools/
- Billy Graham’s Answer: With God’s guidance, you can overcome drug addiction
- Billy Graham on Freedom from Addiction (audio)